9.29.2007

Love and the Likes.


Tonight I honestly believed - for the first time in awhile - that I was a loved person.

Love. It's such a complicated action to me sometimes. But, goodness gracious, it shouldn't be. Jesus proved that.

I have a small list of people that I would love to see in person before I die. One person on that list is the amazing author Margaret Atwood and I have the privilege of hearing her speak at Kenyon in a month. One of the books I'm reading right now is her newest novel entitled Oryx and Crake. It's a futuristic-prophetic-satirical type of a book, one not enjoyed by everyone. But if you liked any the classics like 1984, Animal Farm or even The Giver...then you'll like this. (Oh, my word. Such an English teacher's sentence.)

Anyway, the book I'm reading now is set in a utopia that ultimately destroys humanity. By definition, a utopia is a perfect place. Yet, this utopia was created without love. Can you imagine? That's why I can't put the book down. A world doesn't make sense without the concept of love. Without the feeling of love. Without the actions of love. And that's how humanity was destroyed in this book: the absence of love.

Now, I'm not going to do any lofty theorizing at this point. I won't draw out the obvious parallel. But it just made me think. Especially after the conversation I had with a wonderful boy. He loves freely.

It's complicated for me because it requires other actions. I know I can love. But I need to trust, as well. I'm working on it. Along with all those other fruits of the spirit.


No comments: